Dr KARL SHUKER

Zoologist, media consultant, and science writer, Dr Karl Shuker is also one of the best known cryptozoologists in the world. He is the author of such seminal works as Mystery Cats of the World (1989), The Lost Ark: New and Rediscovered Animals of the 20th Century (1993; greatly expanded in 2012 as The Encyclopaedia of New and Rediscovered Animals), Dragons: A Natural History (1995), In Search of Prehistoric Survivors (1995), The Unexplained (1996), From Flying Toads To Snakes With Wings (1997), Mysteries of Planet Earth (1999), The Hidden Powers of Animals (2001), The Beasts That Hide From Man (2003), Extraordinary Animals Revisited (2007), Dr Shuker's Casebook (2008), Karl Shuker's Alien Zoo: From the Pages of Fortean Times (2010), Cats of Magic, Mythology, and Mystery (2012), Mirabilis: A Carnival of Cryptozoology and Unnatural History (2013), Dragons in Zoology, Cryptozoology, and Culture (2013), The Menagerie of Marvels (2014), A Manifestation of Monsters (2015), Here's Nessie! (2016), and what is widely considered to be his cryptozoological magnum opus, Still In Search Of Prehistoric Survivors (2016) - plus, very excitingly, his first two long-awaited, much-requested ShukerNature blog books (2019, 2020).

Dr Karl Shuker's Official Website - http://www.karlshuker.com/index.htm

IMPORTANT: To view a complete, regularly-updated listing of my ShukerNature blog's articles (each one instantly clickable), please click HERE!

IMPORTANT: To view a complete, regularly-updated listing of my published books (each one instantly clickable), please click HERE!

IMPORTANT: To view a complete, regularly-updated listing of my Eclectarium blog's articles (each one instantly clickable), please click HERE!

IMPORTANT: To view a complete, regularly-updated listing of my Starsteeds blog's poetry and other lyrical writings (each one instantly clickable), please click HERE!

IMPORTANT: To view a complete, regularly-updated listing of my Shuker In MovieLand blog's articles (each one instantly clickable), please click HERE!

Search This Blog


PLEASE COME IN, I'VE BEEN EXPECTING YOU...

PLEASE COME IN, I'VE BEEN EXPECTING YOU...
WELCOME TO SHUKERNATURE - ENJOY YOUR VISIT - BEWARE OF THE RAPTOR!


Sunday 20 October 2013

TWO YETI CORPSES – MUMMIFIED BUT MISSING?

A full-scale animatronic yeti (Dr Karl Shuker)

I’m always pleased to receive an update of an ostensibly long-forgotten cryptozoological story, especially when it’s a personal favourite of mine, like this one.

As reported by Heuvelmans, myself, and others, back in 1953 a Tibetan lama called Chemed Rigdzin Dorje Lopu announced that he had personally examined the mummified bodies of two yetis – one at the monastery at Riwoche in the Tibetan province of Kham, the other in the monastery at Sakya, southern Tibet.

Reconstruction of the yeti (Michael Playfair)

According to Heuvelmans’s account of this lama’s very interesting claim:

They were enormous monkeys about 2.40 m high. They had thick flat skulls and their bodies were covered with dark brown hair about 3 to 5 cm long. Their tails were extremely short.

The thought that such extraordinarily significant cryptozoological relics (if genuine) may still survive today has long intrigued me. Consequently, I was delighted when on 13 February 2010 I was contacted by correspondent Peter Pesavento who informed me that he had been actively pursuing this mystery himself, and had emailed both monasteries. Unfortunately, he did not receive a reply from Sakya, but Samten O’Sullivan had very recently replied to him on behalf of Riwoche.

Reconstruction of the yeti (Richard Svensson)

Samten informed Peter that, tragically, the monastery had been razed to the ground following China’s annexing of Tibet and all of its precious contents had been looted or burnt. Consequently, although the monastery was subsequently rebuilt (and as an exact replica of the original), any yeti mummy that may have been in the original building is certainly not present in the new one. Whether it was removed and taken elsewhere or simply destroyed, however, is another matter, which seems unlikely ever to be resolved.

Yeti footprint cast, based upon the Shipton yeti footprint photos of 1951 (Dr Karl Shuker)

Nevertheless, even knowing where something is not (namely, in the new Riwoche monastery) is still better than knowing nothing about it at all.

Reconstruction of the yeti (Tim Morris)

And if they have survived and are one day rediscovered, how fascinating it would be (judging at least from his revelation on tonight's Channel 4 television programme 'Bigfoot Files' regarding yeti hair DNA) if DNA could be extracted from them and examined by expert geneticist Prof. Bryan Sykes from Oxford University. Then at last we would finally know what these mysterious 'mega-monkey' mummies really were.

Reconstruction of the yeti (LeCire/Wikipedia, public domain)

This ShukerNature blog is excerpted from my book Karl Shuker's Alien Zoo (2010), soon to be available from CFZ Press as an e-book!







13 comments:

  1. Ah what a pity your pics don't have that balloon comment thing some sites feature Carl 'cause that animatronic yeti at the top looks so enraged [almost as if he's used one o' those No No hair removers on his chest an' realised why they include 'virtually' in 'virtually pain free'] I can just see him with the caption "They said I'm a polar WHAT!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed - it is a common, tenacious fallacy when reconstructing the possible appearance of the yeti to give it white hair, when in reality eyewitness descriptions consistently describe its fur as being reddish-brown, which enables it to remain concealed in the rhododendron forests where it supposedly lives (not in the snow itself).

      Delete
  2. Fine way of describing, and nice article to get information about my presentation subject, which i am going to convey in university.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your site?
    My blog is in the exact same niche as yours and my visitors would certainly benefit from some of the information you
    present here. Please let me know if this alright with you.
    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you tell me the name of your blog so that I can take a look at it first? Many thanks indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is truly a great and helpful piece of info. I'm glad that you
    shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings from California! I'm bored at work so I decided
    to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch
    break. I enjoy the info you provide here and can't wait to take a look
    when I get home. I'm amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile ..
    I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, fantastic site!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular article!
    It is the little changes that will make the biggest changes.
    Thanks a lot for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate
    you penning this post plus the rest of the website is
    also really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added"
    checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, no - I have no input into that. But you could perhaps unclick the Notify Me box?

      Delete
  10. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already
    ;) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've made some really good points there. I checked on the internet to
    learn more about the issue and found most people will go along with
    your views on this site.

    ReplyDelete